Are you looking for a unique DIY gift?
Or maybe you’re just looking for a fun little project to do?
Lately I’ve been obsessed with surfing the internet (*ahem*… pinterest) for DIY/All natural beauty products. Lotions, body washes, soaps, facial cleansers, yada yada yada. So lo and behold, I conjured up a little creation with the items I currently had on hand (waiting to get other products such as beeswax, shea butter, etc. to make other products!)
Lavender-Lime Coconut Body Butter:
(this is an adaptation of this recipe)
So here’s what you need:
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tbsp sweet almond oil (can buy at health store)
- Essential oils: I used lavender and lime essential oils. You can use whatever scent you prefer. Make sure it is good quality, and pure essential oil. As you will be putting it on your skin!
- A mixer to create the whip-like consistency
- A container to put your lotion in – I used an empty lotion container from The Body Shop that I had lying around, this also looks really cute in glass jars.
Directions, Guys. It’s soo simple:
In a medium sized bowl, add the coconut oil (solid form don’t warm it up or it will not whip up). I whipped it up a bit before adding the other ingredients. Then add your almond oil (can use olive oil or jojoba oil instead if you like), and add 5-7 drops of your essential oil. I wanted the main scent to be lavender, so I added more lavender then lime oil. OK, now whip it all up together until smooth consistency and whip-like. Scoop into container of choice. Voila. Lotion that contains all natural ingredients and smells delish.
- Lavender Oil is commonly known for its relaxing, calming and balancing effect, it makes for a great stress reliever or to induce sleep.
- Lime Oil is known for its uplifting, energizing effect. The citrus aroma may help stimulate mental clarity and creativity. It is also as a disinfectant so it is great for use in home-made cleaning supplies.
The body butter comes out a little greasy, I am looking forward to trying it with a ‘butter’ like shea butter to see if this makes it less greasy. I don’t mind the greasiness though as it absorbs quickly and feels normal on the skin later. Also be sure to keep it in a cool place or else it will melt.
I added a cute ribbon around the container just for extra sparkle. I would love to create labels for this as well, something I’ll attempt to do next time.
Let me know if you try this or have tried DIY lotions before!